Friday 5 February 2016

05/02: 'GO DARKER' .....

I was fortunate enough to attend a 3 day workshop run by a wonderful Graphite Artist, Mike Sibley, a few years ago.   What really sticks in my mind from that course is Mike's constant refrain of 'go darker, go darker' every time I thought I'd almost finished an exercise.

and ... he's right of course, lots of light layers with sharp pencil points, whether using graphite pencils or coloured pencils, to build up the contrasts, is the way to go ...

I had intended to finish this today, but got sidetracked dealing with the aftermath of my Mother's insurance claim for water damage at her flat .. so I didn't get much achieved before losing the light (and having to go grocery shopping)

Latest update:

This photo was taken in poor light and the 'grubby' mount is one I keep to hand to ensure I'm working within the boundaries of the mount/frame that will eventually be used with this drawing.   Of course I could simply tape off the drawing area but I'm always worried about the tape 'lifting' the surface of the support when removed (even though I use low-tack tape) ... I'd hate for that to happen just as I finish a drawing.

But ... it helps me to view the drawing like this and work out which areas need tweaking,  In this photo you can't see all the 'twiddly' bits of harness on the cart that I've tried to incorporate.   Trouble is the photo ref is so poor, and my knowledge of working harness isn't great, so am hoping I haven't made any major errors.

one more session will see this finished (pending client's approval of course)



and I'm very pleased to say that I received a lovely email today from the lady who received the portrait of Fudge as her 40th birthday present yesterday.     Fudge passed away recently at the grand old age of 18 years and the ref. photos weren't wonderful, so I was very pleased and relieved to hear that I managed to 'capture her perfectly' in the words of her Mum.


5 comments:

  1. I especially love the picture of Fudge. I think you are doing well with the other picture. The guy looks a bit young? Was he, don't remember the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it gratifying when a recipient of a portrait gift actually lets you know how much they like it?

    The pencil drawing is coming right along. I think the man who commissioned it will be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. going darker than you think you should is so important with graphite, the tone/shadows will just not look right if they are not dark enough. very guilty of not doing that myself tho lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your post, Sue. I was told the same thing in a painting class ... go darker, go darker ...
    Your portrait of Fudge is beautiful! Glad the client was so happy with it.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how "going darker" makes a painting pop!! Love black and white drawings... Fudge is beautifully finished and understand how the owner loves it!!!! It definitely will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Let me know what you think :-)

I have disabled the Captcha requirement at the request of followers who find it irritating when posting comments. However to stop the subsequent flood of spam posts I can no longer accept comments from Anonymous sources.
Apologies if this is a problem
Thank you
Sue
x