Friday 9 January 2015

09/01: FIRST POST OF 2015

Happy New Year to all my fellow Bloggers ...  Hope you enjoyed the festivities and are having a good start to 2015

Whilst waiting for more photo refs from the RAF I've been trying to get another coloured pencil work (or two) done as potential entries for the London UKCPS exhibition ...

I usually work better when adrenalin kicks in, and time is certainly short for me as I'll be away for the February submission deadline.  Therefore I need to email any entries at the end of next week.   S*d's Law, I'm finding I can't really settle to anything at the moment ....

I've done a couple of works on Pastelmat recently which I'm not overly happy with and am now halfway through a portrait on Derwent watercolour paper which seems to be going a little better - but why is it when I'm restricted on time, I select a subject with masses of curly hair??    Oh well, good to have a challenge sometimes isn't it?

This morning the gloomy weather lifted a bit so I tried re-photographing the Blue Tit picture and I think this is more true to life, assuming Blogger doesn't make the colours garish again



Being a 'glutton for punishment' I then went on to draw a cormorant using coloured pencils on pastelmat.

I photographed this character at Antwerp Zoo whilst he was 'drying out' .... I'm not sure if he was an exhibit or just flew in because there were lots of lovely lakes there - I'm calling him 'the flasher' as he looks as though he's being very naughty ..... but he isn't quite finished yet - I got bored and started a new drawing.   I'll be going back to this one early next week I think


I've decided I don't really like using coloured pencils with pastelmat for larger pictures - I end up spraying with fixative several times to get better definition  as earlier layers seem to 'soak' into the surface overnight ... but it is useful to know that its possible to easily smudge the pencil with kitchen towel/tissued to fill backgrounds quickly.   Once I use fixative the surface changes dramatically and becomes quite hard and almost like canvas ... interesting anyway!

and this is where I'm at with the curly haired subject ... he's the son of a lady who managed a fish/BBQ restaurant on Fuerteventura where we've enjoyed a few lunches.    He's a 'pretty' child but definitely a boy - always up to mischief and a great favourite with the locals and tourists alike.   I've tried to photograph him several times but he always evades the camera ... this time I caught him but did get a 'suspicious' look for my trouble

He's drawn on white Derwent watercolour paper but my camera picked up a grey/blue cast.  I'll worry about getting a better colour match once the picture is more advanced




there are some fairly harsh sunlight/shadows on his face which I may have to soften a bit once all the hair/clothes are finished


7 comments:

  1. happy new year to you all as well :)

    I would kill for curls like that kid lol :p

    very nice cormorant :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a very boyish looking boy despite the curls. Love The Flasher. As usual they all are coming along well.

    Right now I really envy you Fuerte. It's been blowing with some snow for 24 hours or so and when it's like that the apartment building just will NOT warm up properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your cormorant shows great promise Sue, worth finishing him!
    You can get a great soft background finish using Fabrianno paper and blending with soft kitchen towel. I have the same problem with pastelmatt, I cant get the density of colour I want, never tried fixing between layers tho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you are starting the New Year with masterpieces galore. Love the little chaps ruffled hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blue tit looks much better in this photo and the "Flasher" is going to be terrific. But the boy is just stupendous even at this stage! You just have a real gift for people portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's a cutie, but definitely has an impish gleam in his eye! I look forward to seeing more of him, Sue.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belated thanks everyone for stopping by and commenting. I only have two more working days to complete all ongoing cp pictures and decide which, if any, will be submitted to the jury for the UKCPS Annual Exhibition. I won't be here for the February deadline so need to get them done this week.


    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Let me know what you think :-)

I have disabled the Captcha requirement at the request of followers who find it irritating when posting comments. However to stop the subsequent flood of spam posts I can no longer accept comments from Anonymous sources.
Apologies if this is a problem
Thank you
Sue
x