Tuesday 7 October 2014

07/10: I'VE GOT THE BABY BLUES

I decided to put the finishing touches to the baby portrait and spent a couple of hours deepening the tones on the left side of the pic as that is in shadow in the ref photo, then decided to lift most of it off again as it looked a little harsh.    I hope I've found the right compromise now ... its not true to the ref photo but then that's what having portraits drawn is all about - a bit of artistic license to remove blemishes, adjust lightning and add my own slant so long as the likeness is there.   I've emailed this photo to my client for critique but hope its get approval so I can spray it with fixative and pack it away till its required (Christmas present).



I've outlined my next subject which is another human for completion in coloured pencil this time.   I'm hoping to get the refs for a pastel horse commission soon as he is a handsome beastie that I'm looking forward to portraying.  His 'Mum' is waiting to get just the 'right' photo and I know how hard it can be getting our four legged friends to pose for the camera.

Hilly, the spaniel I portrayed in Coloured Pencil was Highly Commended at the World of Coloured Pencil Exhibition at the Derwent Pencil Museum in Keswick.    All the pictures are on display in the Coffee Shop until 8 November


and in situ - Photo courtesy of the UKCPS Facebook Page as I'm not able to attend in person to take photos.  All entries are now available to view on the UKCPS website




3 comments:

  1. This baby is finished so beautifully, Sue! Your clients will absolutely love it!
    Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always gorgeous artwork here, Sue! I love seeing your spaniel in situ too! Love that octagonal frame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing both the baby (looking good btw) and the wall, lol. Congrats on the Highly Commended - Hilly stands out among the rest of the entries shown here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Let me know what you think :-)

I have disabled the Captcha requirement at the request of followers who find it irritating when posting comments. However to stop the subsequent flood of spam posts I can no longer accept comments from Anonymous sources.
Apologies if this is a problem
Thank you
Sue
x