Monday 20 February 2012

20/02: BLUE - CAT IN PASTEL ON PASTELMAT

Meet Blue .... completed in pastels on pastelmat


and a few WIP photos.   They were taken at different times of day hence the colour variations.    I used Pan Pastels for the background sweep of colour (many thanks again to Berni -co.director of Colorfin LLC for her generosity in sending me some samples last year).  Thereafter its all pastel pencil - a mix of Derwent, Pitt and Conte





I have been working on a 'cropped' head study of a puppy today.  At just 6" x 6" it is much smaller than my usual works and so took a bit of getting used to - I really do admire people who can work 'miniature'.    It is intended to fit a small square mount/frame I have at home and will be one I'll show at the forthcoming exhibition at Horsebridge Gallery, Whitstable (early next month).   I'm hoping to complete several small pieces which will be cheaper and hopefully more attractive to the visitors.   I'll post it tomorrow evening as I've lost the light today.

Off tomorrow to photograph a black labrador which is to be a belated birthday commission for my client.  So no art tomorrow as the trip will take up most of the day.

9 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous. So soft and cuddly, but with such a wise, knowing expression. You do such amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so gorgeous Sue!!! The fur is soft and beautiful...You did a fantastic job on this!!!! I also love your previous painting of the dog..beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this one Sue, the blue in the background so complements the grey of the cat, and the eyes are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind comments - I enjoyed this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work on the cat ~ amazing eyes :)...and I cannot work small. In fact I seem to be getting bigger and bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Know just what you mean Chrissy - but I've got quite a few small to medium size mounts/frames at home. I'm disciplining myself to do some exhibition pieces to fit these (saves the cost of having new frames made). Some of my bigger wildlife pastels are in frames 3'6" x 2'6" which just isn't practical to hang in some people's homes so I'm hoping 'smaller is better' in terms of sales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely little kitty, Sue! I've heard that smaller is selling better these days so you're probably wise to go with the smaller paintings.
    It looks as if you're really making up for lost time while you were in Fuerte!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jan ... Its quite challenging (for me) to stay within the guidelines/parameters of the mounts .... I tend to 'drift' and expand outwards with my non-commissioned works :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good job. I love the pose the photograph has.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Let me know what you think :-)

I have disabled the Captcha requirement at the request of followers who find it irritating when posting comments. However to stop the subsequent flood of spam posts I can no longer accept comments from Anonymous sources.
Apologies if this is a problem
Thank you
Sue
x