Sunday 31 July 2011

31/07: BESSIE'S BIG SISTER!

I haven't done any drawing for a couple of days as I had a dental problem on Friday.   An old root canal treatment flares up every now and then and it chose last week to rear its ugly head.  I thought it would just 'go away' but by Friday I was in severe pain but my usual dentist (who is still in London as I never got round to switching when we moved to the Kent coast)  was away till Tuesday.

We found a local NHS dentist who takes emergency cases so I saw him on Friday and have started a course of antibiotics to clear the infection.     I feel much better already and David tells me I'm once again bearable to live with!!  I plan to get on with the next commission (horse) tomorrow so will post WIP  pics then.

Yesterday I got it into my head that I'd like to take some photos of my elderly horse, Roxy, and her equine friends at the stables.   I planned to do a sort of 'May to September' theme comparing photos of her from 20 years ago and current ones - how unkind is that??   I don't think I'd be too happy about having 'then and now' photos of me shown like that.      Anyway I probably took 50+ photos of Roxy and it reminded me just how difficult it is to get 'good' reference photos of animals sometimes.  I know what I was 'looking for' but she frustrated me time after time - ears flicked back, nose thrust into camera, eyes shut at the critical moment ....

Fortunately I found an easier subject to photograph in the car park of the supermarket we shopped at when we left the stables:

I just thought it was a 'cute' car ... but the proud owner was very chatty and told me that this is one of a limited edition (29 cars).     It is the 'big sister' of Bessie, the canary yellow roadster registration WHO 1 which belonged to the third Doctor Who (Jon Pertwee) and appeared in episodes with the fourth Doctor  (Tom Baker).     Must confess I don't remember Bessie - but I used to hide behind the settee whenever I heard the theme music for Doctor Who on the TV - I was petrified of the Daleks ... well I was only 5 years old.





 Isn't she a beauty?

I am trying to get into the habit of taking my camera with me when I/we go out and about as you never know what you might stumble across.

6 comments:

  1. I remember Bessie! The moment I saw your photo I thought, that looks like the Doctors car but it has the wrong number plate!
    I'm not sure if that's a good thing or if it just means that I should get out more!!!

    Hope you're root canal starts to feel better soon, I've had the same problem myself in the past so you have my heartfelt sympathy for your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cool looking car :D didn't really have doctor who on tv when i was growing up, but i watch it all the time now :)

    sorry to read about your dental pain :/ hope the infection clears up fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. You probably do need to get out more lol.

    Its a great car though isn't it? Its in such good condition I reckon he must polish it daily!

    dental problems on the way out thankfully - and I can have alcohol whilst taking these antibiotics so definitely feeling no pain tonight :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're feeling better, Sue! I know you hate going to the dentist so hope it doesn't cause you any further problems.

    I don't even remember Doctor Who and I'm older than you - was it just on in Britain?

    Aren't animals funny? Neither of our last two dogs nor my Bonnie liked having their pictures taken and I didn't get many of them before they went to the Bridge and none of them especially good. Hope you did get some usable ones of Roxy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jan, you're so right - I'm nearly as scared of dentists as I was of the Daleks!

    I had no idea whether Dr Who was shown in the USA but according to 'the net' the original series (with William Hartnell playing the Doctor) had its N.American debut in January 1965.

    The series starring Jon Pertwee and Bessie was shown in the USA in the 70s but wasn't a hit. It had/has a huge following in the UK and they are still making programmes - think we must be up to Doctor 8 or 9 now!

    I did get some usable pics of Roxy thanks - but the 'out-takes' are more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Daleks are still scary.

    Ha ha ha, anyway, it's a cool looking car. Performance-wise, old cars won't be able to keep up with today's cars. However, it still has several good qualities. The model has style, and it has a very cool look and color.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Let me know what you think :-)

I have disabled the Captcha requirement at the request of followers who find it irritating when posting comments. However to stop the subsequent flood of spam posts I can no longer accept comments from Anonymous sources.
Apologies if this is a problem
Thank you
Sue
x