Monday 7 June 2010

07/06: CAT PICTURES FRAMED

Here are the four pictures I picked up from the framer last week.   I struggled to photograph them because of the reflection on the glass - no matter where in the house or garden I placed the pictures I got glare.  I personally prefer non-reflective glass for pictures which stops this problem but a lot of people think the slightly opaque finish detracts from pictures - and certainly non-reflective glass is not permitted for most exhibition/competition work.   So I have to follow instructions !!



I've had this frame at home for ages - its a little ornate for most portraits (particularly commissions) but  I thought it worked with this picture as the background reminds me of a sort of Georgian striped fabric and the cat is quite 'regal' looking.  My framer kindly cut the mount and put it all together for me.




































This is another frame I had 'in stock'  and my framer obligingly cut the mount and put it all together - saved a few pennies anyway :o)




This picture was my framer's favourite - he loves the blue eyes.  Its a shame about the reflections - this was photographed in my back garden so I've picked up some fencing and trees - in reality the background is plain and very dark blue/black



I think this is my favourite



Well - they are all ready for their journey to London in August - where I will find out if the jury will accept or reject them for exhibition.  During this visit to London I will also be applying for full membership of SOFA (Society of Feline Artists) so these pictures will form part of the portfolio I submit for consideration.  Its going to be a busy day methinks!!







10 comments:

  1. Lovely portraits Sue! It's great to see them all framed up like this, don't they look good? They're all great - I think my favourite is that bottom one, I like the pose. Know what you mean about the reflections, when I take a photo of a framed picture I generally get a reflection of myself taking the photo, not good!

    Best of luck with SOFA, let us know how you get on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all beautiful portraits but the kitty with blue eyes is my fave, I just have a soft spot for them. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all great Sue and look wonderful framed, and wish you much luck with the exhibtion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone.

    Its a bit scary having to take them all to London (and two of these are Big) with the understanding they are likely to be rejected and I have to bring them all home again (!!) But, nothing ventured - nothing gained as the old expression goes

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are lovely, I think it is great when you get art framed up. it gives them a whole new look somehow....I was smiling at you wanting to change them though. I thought that was only me!
    Well done at your attitude towards the exhibition...I wish I could be more philosophical but I am terrible at it. I take rejection as a personal affront. I so wish I didn't becuase I never submit anything becuase of it. I hope it goes well for you, they deserve to do well... :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Chrissy - getting them framed was my only safeguard against keep picking at them at probably ruining them in the process!

    I don't think anyone enjoys rejection but my goal this year was to try to do more exhibition/competition work and look at producing cards/prints. Life has got in the way a bit ... Stepson's motorbike accident being a major factor but I guess you'll identify with that following your own recent accident and the impact its had on your lifestyle? Hope you are continuing to make a good recovery by the way :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always a hard thing to choose when to leave them alone...
    No, I don't think anyone likes rejection and sometimes I think I am too much of a wuss! I read back a while and saw about the motorbike accident, it is a difficult time, visiting hospital can get quite wearing and supporting loved ones too, it must have been/is a real worry, I sympathise. I am making good progress thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are all gorgeous. They all deserve entry in my book. The framing really sets them off. Good for you in entering the exhibition! "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" as they say. I have tended to sit out this year on several after rejections last year, so I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Chrissy and Angela.
    I guess the downside of 'juried' exhibitions is what appeals to those particular judges won't necessarily appeal to you or me so its always a bit of a lottery.

    2 years ago I had a picture of an 'urban fox' rejected for the UKCPS exhibition and I was upset as I really liked it :o) Actually hubby recently confessed he never thought it was one of my better ones (which surprised me) so... what do I know??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love your work, and your blue-eyed cat looks just like my cat! Makes me want to paint a cat....hmmm...

    Steve

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog. Let me know what you think :-)

I have disabled the Captcha requirement at the request of followers who find it irritating when posting comments. However to stop the subsequent flood of spam posts I can no longer accept comments from Anonymous sources.
Apologies if this is a problem
Thank you
Sue
x